Abhyanga is defined as the full body massage in a specialized manner in which herbal oils are used to nourish and revitalize the body tissues (Dhatus). It also allows the toxins to be removed from the cells. This massage is performed by one or two therapists for 45 minutes and is usually followed by a medicated steam bath (Swedana). It is one of the pre-panchakarma and most rejuvenating treatments of Ayurveda.
Abhyangam is the application of medicated oil on the body followed by massage by a trained therapist. The lukewarm ayurvedic oiling is done by changing into seven different positions. This therapy acts on the whole body on both physical and mental level balancing the doshas.
1. Enhances the age and reduces wrinkles.
2. Relieves tiredness and weakness.
3. Relieves the Vata in the body.
4. Improves the eyesight.
5. Tones up the Body Tissues and strengthens the body.
6. Induces sound sleep.
7. Gives a glossy and soft skin.
8. Improves the general health of the individual.
9. Improves blood circulation.
10.Reduces body aches & pains.